Human Capital Resources
Advancing a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive ecosystem
This is your go-to source for resources that support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the venture capital ecosystem. Explore what’s being done to move the industry forward, how you can contribute, and best practices to achieve your goals.
What does the venture capital (VC) industry workforce look like in terms of demographics? What is the current state of VC diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)? The VC Human Capital Survey, powered by Deloitte, National Venture Capital Association, and Venture Forward, answers these and other questions for VC firms seeking to expand the diversity of both their teams and portfolios.
The third edition of our VC Human Capital Survey assesses the state of the US VC industry workforce, with a special focus on DEI. Results from this edition were benchmarked against findings from the first and second editions, which were originally conducted in 2016 and 2018. Conducted in 2020, this third edition requested firm demographic information (e.g., investment stage focus) and demographic information for each employee (e.g., gender and race). Additionally, firms were asked to provide information regarding their talent management practices and DEI programs.
While there have been other industry assessments of VC diversity, this survey provides a more holistic perspective. We gathered data from VC firms of all types and sizes, examined DEI for a variety of groups across all types of positions, and assessed firm talent management strategies. (Learn more.)
LP Office Hours (LPOH) are half-day workshops that connect emerging managers from historically underrepresented backgrounds with Limited Partners (LPs), experienced General Partners (GPs), and each other. The last LPOH highlighted foundation and endowment LPs, and took place virtually in November 2021.
Each LPOH event begins with an educational component, and then breaks out into several rounds of “office hours” – curated small-group and 1:1 conversations between the emerging managers and the experienced GPs and LPs.
The goal of LPOH is to foster open and collaborative dialogue, and to provide a safe space for historically underrepresented emerging managers to seek guidance and advice from leaders in the field. Through intimate conversations with LPs and experienced GPs, emerging managers get to learn about the nuances of fundraising, GP-LP relationship management, and other guidance for success as a VC from the LP’s perspective.
Please note: this is not a pitching event. To ensure that all participants get the opportunity to meaningfully interact with the experienced GPs and LPs, participation is strictly limited to approximately 25 people. These events are specifically intended for emerging managers (no further than raising a second fund), from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in the venture capital industry.
The next LPOH will take place in Chicago on May 19, 2022 from 2:00-6:00pm CT. Learn more.
If you’re an experienced GP or LP interested in holding office hours, please email Maryam Haque at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Impact to date:
- 4 programs held in 2018 and 2019 (Palo Alto, Boston, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles)
- 2 virtual programs in 2021 (funds of funds focus in June and foundation and endowment focus in November).
- Participant demographics for latest (November 2021) program:
- 76% female
- 72% people of color
- 32% based outside CA, MA & NY
- 12% veterans
- 154 emerging fund manager participants to date
- 69 LP and 32 experienced GP office hour hosts
- 278 one-on-ones and 179 small roundtable discussions facilitated
NVCA’s Model Legal Documents include the following Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I)-related policies:
- Model Investor’s Rights Agreement Language (Includes a DE&I Provision)
- Sample H.R. Best Practices for Preventing and Addressing Sexual Harassment
- Sample H.R. Policies for Addressing Harassment & Discrimination
- Sample Code of Conduct Policy
- Sample H.R. Policies for Attracting & Retaining Diverse Talent
- Sample Diversity & Inclusion Policies — SF Family Friendly Workplace Policy
- Sample Diversity & Inclusion Policies — SF Paid Parental Leave Policy
- Sample Diversity Policies — NY Paid Family Leave Policy
Programs & Services
- LP Office Hours: LP Office Hours (LPOH) are half-day, in-person events that connect emerging managers from historically underrepresented groups with LPs, experienced GPs, and each other.Each LPOH event starts off with an educational component, and then breaks out into several rounds of “office hours” – curated roundtables and 1:1 conversations, followed by informal networking over food and drink. Through these intimate conversations, emerging managers get to learn from LPs about the fundraising process, GP-LP relationship management, and other guidance for success as a VC from the LP’s perspective.
The event fosters open and collaborative dialogue, and provides a safe space for questions. Please note, this is not a pitching event. So far, we’ve held LPOH in Palo Alto, Boston, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles. In 2020, LPOH will be held in Chicago and Austin, with more details to come soon.
If you’re interested in participating in LPOH as an emerging manager, email email@example.com. If you’re an experienced GP or LP interested in holding office hours, please email Maryam Haque at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NVCA-Deloitte Human Capital Survey: Through Venture Forward, NVCA is committed to expanding opportunities for people of all backgrounds to thrive in the venture ecosystem in a welcoming and safe work environment. As part of this commitment, NVCA conducts ongoing research on diversity and inclusion (D&I) in the venture ecosystem through the NVCA-Deloitte Human Capital Survey.The NVCA-Deloitte Human Capital Survey was designed to capture critical data on the workforce at venture capital firms, develop a baseline understanding of demographics within the VC industry, and uncover the current state of diversity and inclusion across the industry. The survey is intended to be an educational resource for venture capital firms to understand how to expand the diversity of their teams and portfolio companies. The first two surveys were conducted in 2016 and 2018, and the 2020 edition will be released in September.
Click the links below to learn more about these organizations, what services they provide, and how you or your firm can actively engage.
For more details about each category of services, mouse over the question marks at the top of the grid.
Deal Flow Opportunities
? Opportunity for VCs and founders to connect
Education & Best Practices
? VC PD events, opportunities, and materials, best practice guides
Hiring & Pipeline
? Opportunities for those seeking or offering VC jobs
? Opportunities to connect with or volunteer as a mentor
? Resource to report misconduct
Research & Data
? Studies, research, data, white papers
? Collections of VC-related resources that may cover a variety of topics
? Opportunity to connect with specific demographic group
|Girls Who Invest||X||X||X||X|
|Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT)||X||X||X||X|
|Shift: Defense Ventures||X||X|
|The Vinetta Project||X||X|
|Women Who Launch (WWL)||X||X||X||X|
One of Venture Forward’s primary goals is to break down barriers to entry, participation, and success within the VC ecosystem. To that end, we curate the community resources we feature to prioritize those that are structured as nonprofits, B corporations, or that offer free or low-cost programs and services. We also particularly focus on organizations that support the participation and success of newcomers, or groups that are historically underrepresented within VC.
This is not an exhaustive list of the organizations or opportunities available within this industry, but rather, one focused on broadly expanding knowledge, accessibility and inclusion.
If you believe that your organization (or specific programs and services you offer) meets these criteria, please apply to be featured as a community resource and submit your information, here. If you have any questions about this process, please email Rhianon Anderson at email@example.com.