This 2020 report by Fairview Capital examines the state of woman and minority-owned private equity and venture capital firms.
The following report shares key trends and data observed by Fairview in 2020.
- The universe of woman and minority-owned firms now totals over 500 and continues to grow rapidly
- New firms are raising smaller pools of capital and first-time funds represent a larger proportion of the opportunity set than ever before
- New firm formation activity is most significant in venture capital, a segment of private equity that has proven highly resilient
- Diverse managers continue to feature a natural diverse multiplier effect at the portfolio company level, while at the same time, firms explicitly targeting woman and minority entrepreneurs are at an all-time high
- The need for intentionality and genuine programmatic approaches to backing woman and minority-owned firms is at peak levels