VC University is a foundational certificate course on venture finance, created in 2019 through the partnership of NVCA, Venture Forward, and Startup@BerkeleyLaw at the UC Berkeley School of Law.
VC University democratizes access to quality venture capital education for early career investors, entrepreneurs, attorneys, and anyone else who’s interested in emerging company finance. The program provides a structured introduction and practical training on the nuts and bolts of venture finance.
VC University has two distinct components:
- VC University ONLINE: an online certificate course.
- VC University LIVE: a three-day, in-person program held in partnership with universities across the country.
Venture Forward is proud to offer a limited number of full scholarships for each program.
The VC University ONLINE certificate program is offered three times a year. The online course consists of 20+ hours of lectures by UC Berkeley faculty, NVCA executives, and VC leaders, and 30-40 hours of independent coursework. The program also includes virtual office hours, monthly webinars with leading venture capitalists, and interactive assessments through which participants learn the fundamentals of venture finance. Students who complete the requirements of the course earn a certificate of completion at the end of the program. Tuition for VC University ONLINE is $1,500. Berkeley alumni and employees of NVCA member firms are eligible for a 20% discount on tuition. Venture Forward is also proud to offer a limited number of full scholarships for qualified candidates. For VC University ONLINE programming dates and details, please visit: https://venturecapitaluniversity.com/online-course
IMPACT TO DATE:
- 9 VC University ONLINE cohorts since launch in 2019
- 1,600+ total participants
Sign up to receive notifications when the scholarship application and general registration open for each cohort.
Cohort 10 – June 2022
Cohort 10 of VC University ONLINE will start June 1, 2022.
The Scholarship Application for Cohort 10 has closed. General Registration will open on April 25.
The Cohort 10 Mentorship Program will take place from August – September. VC investors who are interested in volunteering 3-5 hours to serve as a mentor in this highly-reviewed program are invited to learn more and sign up by Friday, July 11.
Cohort 11 – September 2022
Cohort 11 will start September 1, 2022. The Scholarship Application will open in June and General Registration will open in July. The Cohort 11 Mentorship Program will take place from November – January, 2023.
VC University LIVE is a three-day educational program held in partnership with universities in emerging VC ecosystems across the country.
VC University LIVE provides an introductory overview of the Silicon Valley model of venture capital, while shining a spotlight on emerging venture ecosystems. These events convene local industry leaders and VC leaders from the coasts; offer foundational instruction to VC newcomers; and address cutting-edge industry issues, including how to improve capital and talent flows between local ecosystems and Silicon Valley. Critically, these programs provide an opportunity to connect with local leaders as well as influencers from Silicon Valley.
Alumni from Berkeley, alumni from the host university, and employees of NVCA member firms are eligible for a 20% discount on tuition. Venture Forward is also proud to offer a limited number of full scholarships to qualified candidates.
For additional VC University LIVE programming dates and details, please visit: https://venturecapitaluniversity.com/live-program.
IMPACT TO DATE:
- 4 VC University LIVE programs
- Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan (2019)
- A. B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University (2019)
- Dedman School of Law and the Cox School of Business at SMU, in Dallas, TX (2020)
- UNC Kenan-Flager’s Entrepreneurship Center at UNC Chapel Hill, held virtually (2021)
- 287 participants across 4 programs
Stay tuned for the next VC University LIVE program.
For additional information, please visit: https://venturecapitaluniversity.com/live-program
Universities who are interested in partnering with Venture Forward and Startup@BerkeleyLaw to bring VC University LIVE to your region should contact us at email@example.com.
OFFICE HOURS & MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
Recipients of the full scholarship to VC University ONLINE receive access to special office hours, as well as the opportunity to participate in a curated 3-month mentorship program. (At this time, these components are not offered to partial scholarship recipients, or VC University LIVE scholarship recipients.)
The mentorship program begins 8 weeks after the course starts. It builds upon the technical education provided by VC University, and offers industry connections, insight, and support. Read more about the positive impact of the VC University Mentorship Program in our Mentoring Forward series.
You can learn more about these components of the Venture Forward Scholarship on the Scholarship Information.
If you are interested in supporting Venture Forward’s scholarship or mentorship efforts, please email Maryam Haque at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCHOLARSHIP CRITERIA & APPLICATION PROCESS
Candidates who are interested in applying for a Venture Forward Scholarship to one of the VC University programs need to review the relevant scholarship information first, to see if they meet the meet the award criteria:
These documents includes all the necessary details on:
- Criteria and deadlines
- Advice on making your application the strongest it can be
- Access to the Scholarship Application itself
IMPACT TO DATE:
VC University ONLINE Scholarships
- 264 full scholarships and 213 partial scholarships awarded to women, people of color, and people from other historically underrepresented groups
- Full scholarship recipients to date:
- 70% Female
- 93% People of Color
- 13% LGBT
- 72% based outside California, Massachusetts, or New York.
VC University LIVE Scholarships
- 59 full scholarships awarded to women, people of color, and people from historically underrepresented groups:
- 52% Female
- 84% People of Color
- 18% LGBT
- 76% based outside California, Massachusetts, or New York.
Lunch & Learn Topics and Speakers
- LP Insights – Beezer Clarkson (Sapphire Ventures) & Lisa Edgar (Top Tier)
- Secrets of Sand Hill Road – Scott Kupor (Andreessen Horowitz)
- Portfolio Construction – Charles Hudson (Precursor) & Renata Quintini (Lux Capital)
- The Traction Gap – Bruce Cleveland (Wildcat Ventures)
- Industry Perspectives on VC-Backed Exits and Liquidity – Guru Chahal (Lightspeed Venture Partners); Tim de Kay (Deloitte); Brian Patterson (Gunderson Dettmer)
- How to Diligence, Value, and Protect Intellectual Property at Startups – Mira Chaurushiya (5AM Ventures); Shahin Farshchi (Lux Capital); Paul Parker (Perkins Coie)
- Important Public Policy Issues Impacting VCs and Startups – NVCA Policy Team
- VC AMA – Jeff Clavier (Uncork Capital)
- How to Build a Successful Career in VC – Kate Mitchell (Scale Venture Partners)
- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly of VC – Joe Horowitz (Icon Ventures)
- Emerging VC Fundraising & Fund Management Best Practices During a Downturn – Will Price (Next Frontier Capital) & Seyonne Kang (Greenspring Associates)
- Breaking into VC – Mahendra Ramisinghani (Secure Octane)
- VC Perspectives on the Current Environment & Ecosystem Building – Brentt Baltimore (Greycroft), Mike Fernandez (B Capital), and Carmen Palafox (MiLA Capital)
- Fireside Chat – Arlan Hamilton (Backstage Capital)
- Barry Eggers (Lightspeed Venture Partners)
- Greg Sands (Costanoa Ventures)
- Fireside Chat with Sarah Bhagat (Sofinnova Investments)
- Discussion with Matt Goldstein & Priyanka Mitra (M12)
- Fireside chat with Scott Dorsey (High Alpha)
- Navigating VC as a new fund manager with Winter Mead (Oper8r) and Sara Zulkosky (Recast Capital)
- The 411 on SPACs with Sandi Knox (Sidley) and Steve Murray (Revolution)
- Fireside Chat with Jim Healy (Sofinnova Investments)
- Founder-market Fit, Product-Market Fit, and International Dimensions of Investing with Paul Asel (NGP Capital)
- Building a Career in VC with Robin Li (GGV Capital) and Otello Stampacchia (Omega Funds)
- Fund Management Best Practices with Stephan Eberle (Scale Venture Partners), Marc Galletti (Longitude Capital), and Quinn Rotchford (AngelList)
- Secondary Markets/Transactions & Alternative Liquidity options in August with Kelsey Chase (Aumni), Erik Pena (Silicon Valley Bank), and Andy Trujillo (Carta)
- VC University Alumni: Where Are They Now? with Sidney Nakahodo (Seldor Capital) and Himalaya Rao-Potlapally (Black Founders Matter)
- Building Your Brand with Kate Barrett (NEA), Rebecca Buckman (Battery Ventures), and Sue Kwon (formerly Felicis Ventures)
- Assessing VC Fund Structures with Miles Millard (Assure) and Mac Conwell (Rarebreed Ventures)
- Special Lunch & Learn with Kate Mitchell (Scale Venture Partners)
- State of Healthcare VC with Jon Norris (Silicon Valley Bank) and Magdalena Tyrpien (Forge Biologics)